Time for a little Mad Libs, Pear Shapely style: Baby it’s (adjective) outside! Regardless of where you live, there are plenty of descriptive words that can for the current weather systems across the nation. Surely you will encounter some of them during your day-to-day activity and doing so cozily and stylishly will help you get through whatever system is in place and my favorite discount retailer, Loehmann’s is making it a bit easier.
My happy place just announced that starting today their, coat sale begins with up to 75% off of department store prices. In Loehmann’s carry true designer names like Elie Tahari, LeRok, Hale Bob, Dolce & Gabbana and so much more. However, until you get into the store, you will not know what designer wares are offered this week. So why wait? If you are cold, damn and not looking so cute, spruce up your wardrobe with the cashmere, wool, leather or down coat of your dreams.
No matter how hard you try to ignore it, the Holiday Season is lurking right around the corner. Even those who don’t mark the day with religious observation find themselves caught in the web of the “true” meaning of Christmas, consumerism.
For decades, we have all heard the term “Black Friday” in relation to the first shopping day after Thanksgiving. Despite the holiday ads flooding the telly immediately after the conclusion of Halloween, this day marks the official beginning of the traditional holiday season. It also marks the day that retailers start showing profit for the year thus going from red to black ink on their records.
Because of the long rippling effects of the recession, holiday shoppers are now poised to get more for their holiday shopping budgets. If you are planning to take part of the frenzy (for better or for worse) there are some strategies you can take to not only complete your shopping list, but save some cash in the process.
Holiday Shopping Tips from Pear Shapely:
- Make Like Santa: That simply means make a list and check it twice. Unless you have already started stowing away holiday purchases, take this time to calculate a holiday spending budget as well as confirm who has been naughty or nice on your list.
- Get the 4-1-1-: Money is tight for everyone and just because you have exchanged gifts with friends or family in the past, does not mean that you have to this year. Have honest conversations with your posse and see if you can partake in a homemade gift exchange, cap the limit of gift value or even skip the process all together.
- Let your fingers do the walking: Everyone knows the value of the internet when it comes to comparison shopping. Checking out discount and money advice sites like Buxr.com, Retailmenot.com and Wisebread.com can help you score savings (such as discounts and shipping codes) from your favorite shopping sites
- Become a Groupie: If you have a Facebook page you need to know that your favorite retailers are on there. By becoming a “fan” you will be given V.I.P. treatment and promo discounts will be forthcoming. I’ve gotten great discount offers from my personal faves such Loehmann’s, Lucky Brand and LeSportsac and you can tweak your selections based on your tastes.
- Support Hand Made: Aside from my collection of Hurricane by Jane Jewelry on Etsy, there are literally millions of gift options to choose from. Your purchase will go to supporting a living, breathing individual, not just a corporation and is an excellent way of sharing the wealth this season.
- Tempus Fugit: There is no time like the present to shop for presents. Regardless of their size, retailers are operating on leaner budgets this year meaning that they have less of a surplus in merchandise. Your best value and selection is right now, plus you will avoid much of the mayhem and chaos of the season.
- Become a Pack Rat: Well, at least with your receipts. Did you know that if you purchase an item and then it goes on sale within fourteen days of purchase, chances are you can go and get the difference back from the store? Bringing your documentation and a sunny disposition are the best ways to ensure a price adjustment in your favor.
Regardless if your holiday budget is $50 or $5000 you can make every penny count!
As a native New Yorker, one of the hardest parts of relocating to the West Coast was leaving behind some of my favorite things. Included in this list are my friends and family, pizza by the slice and some of the greatest discount shopping out there . The latter came courtesy of one of my regular haunts, Loehmann’s.
Although I still miss my peeps desperately, the other voids have been filled by new options and the glamour Loehmann’s near the Beverly Center and the fairly new location in Burbank. Today is a very special day for this devoted discount shopper as I was lucky enough to find out that my love affair with Loehmann’s is not one sided. The geniuses there were smart enough to select Pear Shapely as a featured site in their “blogroll” section.
Thank you Loehmann’s for helping to feed my obsession for designer fashion at affordable prices from coast to coast. Most importantly, thank you Loehmann’s for thinking that Pear Shapely is worthy enough to share with your devoted clientele.
By this time, we all know that dressing our pear shaped body is a labor of love and that sometimes good old-fashioned “smoke and mirror” techniques can help give us the added oomph that we crave.
Striped tops accented by great jewelry are one of the tricks of the trade as the combination will give the illusion that our upper torso is broader then our bottom. Pairing a great sweater or shirt with a pair of dark denim jeans, black pants or even a solid pencil skirt are all some great ways to drape your Pear Shapely figure. Plus complimenting the stripes with the Coco Chanel Inspired Pearl Before Swine Necklace ($86) from Hurricane by Jane will make the look completely yours:
As always, Bluefly.com has options and this Cashmere Striped Bubble Sweater ($123.99) will do the trick:
The ribbed waistband, will allow the garment to sit right above your hips, accentuating your whittled middle, the bubble effect will add a slightly fuller silhouette to your slim top portion, the stripes will work their magic and the cashmere will add the necessary “yummy” factor.
Menswear is currently a huge trend and I always keep some staples in my wardrobe. With a Striped Cashmere Sweater Vest ($139) available on Shopbop.com we can also balance our figures:
Depending on your mood you can just add a layering t or a white button down. Mix and match with all the aforementioned bottoms, and you will be good to go. The illusion is the same, it is just another twist on the look.
When trying something new, breaking the $100 range may not be a realistic goal. Never fear as the Gap always has affordable options. I’m totally digging this Striped Crew Neck Sweater ($44.50):
Out of all the lined toppers out there, this shirt will provide the best optical illusion for balancing out your figure courtesy of all the white space around your shoulders and chest (our two most narrow points).
From bargain retailers like Forever 21 to designer discounter happy places like Loehmann’s stripes are plentiful, flattering and affordable. Feel free to share your favorite finds with me, as I love hearing about a good shopping score!