It is too easy to become part of the problem not the solution, and I recently fell into that trap when I gave advice of Halloween Costume “Don’ts” for Pear Shapely Women. Although I still believe I put together an excellent list of costumes to avoid, since the big day is less then a week away, I thought I should now offer some costume ideas for curvy gals that are all affordable. Here we go:
- Belly Dancer or Harem Costume: These ensembles tend to have flowing bottoms and mid-drift cut outs that will hide your hips and show off your best feature, your awesome tummy. You can easily make your own by donning a long skirt, cropped gypsy top and tying a scarf around your hips or buy a pre-fab choice if you are pressed for time. Make sure that the bottom fabric is not too sheer and that the costume title avoids the term “sexy” in the title.
- Anything Zombie or Dead: Your old prom dress, wedding dress or even your most flattering outfit can easily be turned into a ghoulish outfit just by adding a jet black wig, some light face make up, blue eyes shadow to add some bags under your eyes and fake blood. All the makeup can be purchased for around $10 and you will be able to easily carry off the look of the dead knowing that your body is dressed to it’s best.
- Cute Critter: Channelling your favorite type of critter is easy on Halloween as all you need to do is purchase some cute animal ears and pair it with a great animal print wrap dress. All curvy gals know that wrap dresses are one of the best basic elements for dressing our curves but when donning animal print it is important to know the do’s and don’ts of the process.
- Cowgirl: Any excuse to buy a new pair of jeans should be fully embraced and any of the bootleg offerings from Lucky Brand Jean’s Sweet-n-Low collection will do the trick. My favorite are the Shelby Jeans. Just combine the denim with a Cowboy hat, fitted button down and boots (the more distressed the better) and you will be saying yippee-ya-yeah in no time.
- Bride of Frankenstein: A long flowing dress of any color is already probably in your wardrobe, you just need to get a good wig and some white face make up and voila!
- Vampire: Blood sucking vixens are always in style, that is because they are always stylish in basic black. Whether you want to couple your fangs and blood with a black outfit already in your closet or treat yourself to a new “little black dress” just for the heck of it, you can ensure that you find an outfit that flatters your curves. One such option that can serve double duty is this great jersey v-neck dress from Micheal Stars ($120). The flowing Victorian Bell sleeves will add a hint of goth appeal, while the overall shape will let your hips move freely while highlight your decolletage.
- Disco Diva- The bell bottoms of the 70’s were a great find for balancing out the bottom of a pear shaped woman and all you need to do is go to a thrift sure where plenty of options suitable of a costume can be yours for just a couple of bucks.
- Pirate Wench: When Pirates ruled the world and women were wenches, corsets were the haute fashion choice and by adding this accouterment to your ensemble over a flowing black skirt, white t-shirt, head scarf, eye patch and hoop earrings, your waist will get the cinch needed to highlight your curves.
- Fairy Princess: If you spent hours previously shopping for your prom or wedding dress, then you have a perfect fitting garment for your shape just hanging in your closet. Just combine the flattering garment you already own with wings (that can be bought for as little at $1 at your local dollar store) and a wand and voila! If you don’t have either of those garments floating around, just put on your favorite cocktail dress and you will be good to go. Don’t forget the body and face glitter!
- Naughty Librarian or School Girl : To make these costumes work, do not buy a pre fab “sexy” combo as it will be anything but that. But by raiding your own closet or even those of your closest pear-shaped friend, you can easily come up with some affordable options perfect for your figure.
The key to having fun while in costume is to ensure that you feel comfortable in the amount of skin you show plus the theme you have chosen. That is why incorporating the clothing you would normally wear is your best option. Have a great holiday and feel free to let me know what spooky look you sported.
Halloween is right around the corner and you can tap into your inner super hero, favorite animal, zombie or what-have-you. Donning a costume that is store-bought, rented or home made will allow you to lower your inhibitions naturally (as long as everyone else is also dressed up) and let you live out your fantasies for a night.
However, no one wants to end up having a Halloween Hangover filled with regret for the costume they chose. By putting a little thought into the big day now, you can easily avoid the regret of the day after. Some costume “don’ts” for anyone, including pear shaped women include (in no particular order):
- Any type of jumpsuit ensemble: Whether you want to go as a member of Devo or Cat Woman, not only is the fabric extremely unforgiving, but going to the bathroom is a pain in the Pear Shaped buttocks.
- “Sexy” anything off the rack: Dressing up sexy is always part of the Halloween fun. However costumes with “sexy” in the name tend to look cheap and if they have to call it “sexy” in reality it is probably not. Plus imagine the walk of shame home the day after?
- Anything that is outside of your ethnicity: Pear shaped or not, you risk coming off as a bit of racist, so why even take the chance. This rule does not apply to fictional ethnicities however like Smurfs, Martians and the like.
- Any type of fat suit: Not flattering, not cute and not at all comfortable.
- Overexposed celebrities: Aren’t we all a bit sick of Paris Hilton, Sarah Palin and Kate Gossling? Please just try to let sleeping dogs lie.
- Dressing like a hooker: Why portray being a slave to the sex industry when dressing up like a pimp will give you all the power.
- Sporting the look of a tourist: Mom jeans, fanny packs, a slogan T-shirt and a camera is all it will take to make your butt look big and make you look at least 10 years older
- Conceptual Costumes: Do you really want to spend all night explaining that you are a “numerical sequence,” “Freudian slip” or “behind the eight ball?” I think not.
- Rubber Mask of Anyone: Your face won’t breath, the toxic fumes will make you light-headed and quite frankly, they are a big pain in the ass.
- Using “Drag” Makeup: If you put on so much make-up that you resemble a “drag-queen” gender confusion may ensue and you ultimately may be extremely upset with the results.